St Agatha's Church

This church - which dates back to the 12th century - is one of only two churches in England dedicated to the Sicilian St Agatha. Legend has it that she had her breasts cut off, which is possibly why she became the patron saint of bellfounders.

Very little of the original church remains today, apart from an old doorway in the South Wall and the upper walls of the nave. A tower was added in the 13th century, which dramatically collapsed in Easter week of 1796. More disaster followed after the tower was rebuilt, and the bells re-hung. A ringer reaching out to grasp his rope had a fatal heart attack.

In the south aisle is the Millennium Window, installed to mark the start of the 21st century. Next to it is another stained glass window which does not bear too close an inspection. The kneeling figure in the bottom left corner has three legs!

Most surprising fact? A murder took place here in 1507. The victim - a priest, John Scoffyld - is commemorated in a brass on the floor of the south aisle in the church.

Walk back through the churchyard, which is meticulously cared for by a team of volunteers. 

Make sure you take in the unusual thatched cob wall, before crossing the square and walking up the road to...