The Red Lion
Time was when the village had a pub on almost every corner: The Button and Loop, the Black Duck, the Swan Inn, and the Bell. But Victorian reformers - and changing social habits - ensured that, one by one, the pubs disappeared.
The Red Lion, which dates back to the 16th century, is the village's last remaining pub. It, too, almost joined the list of lost pubs after a catastrophic fire just before Christmas in 2001. However, it has now been rebuilt and its fine ales and food draw custom from well beyond the bounds of Brightwell.
For further information, including details of upcoming events and special menus, visit www.redlionbrightwell.co.uk
Most famous visitor? George III rode through the village after a stag hunt and dined there in 1781.
Leaving the churchyard by the back gate takes us into Bakers Lane, where a right turn and a short walk will bring us to....