Citizens Advice has designed a new service to help you and speed things up if you are claiming Universal Credit for the first time but having problems with the application

The "Help to Claim" service will be available in England from 1 April 2019 over the telephone, face to face, and online through “webchat” and Internet content.

We can advise on your eligibility, set up an email address or Universal Credit account, fill in the initial application form, get access to a computer, or arrange advance payments. We can also help you by ensuring that the right evidence is submitted with your form. And if you only need minimal help with your application, Citizens Advice can provide tips if you get stuck.

As part of its normal service, Citizens Advice also supports people who are already receiving Universal Credit.

The national Freephone number for Help to Claim is 0800 144 8444. Telephone and webchat services are available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Monday-Friday)

For any other issues you might need help with, please telephone the Citizens Advice Adviceline on 03 444 111 444. 

Come and see us in person if you prefer. For locations of offices and opening hours see